My Daughter’s Master Bath Redo

white subway tile master bathroom remodel with glass shower enclosure via AtticmagOur daughter’s long awaited remodel is finally complete.

For the last three years, our youngest daughter (DD2) has been updating a mid-90′s house to fit her eclectic decorating personality.  Her dining room redo was finished quickly after her move but a master bath remodel topped the list since Day 1.  Some things are worth the wait, and there was plenty of waiting.   But that’s what happens when a project is a total gut, and life and work get in the way of progress.  It was a mix of professionals and DIY (thank you, Mr. Shops!) with a happy ending.  According to DD2,  “I find myself going in the room just to stare.”

before master bathroom remodel via AtticmagThe previous basic builder grade vanity, cultured marble counter with integrated sink, pony wall and funky tiled corner shower (complete with soap scum etched glass) was far from appealing.  The self-framed mirror wasn’t too bad, and might have been reused if not for the vanity that was so low, you practically had to get on bended knees to brush your teeth.  Opposite the shower, an enormous non-jetted garden tub took up too much real estate without offering anything in return.  Dare I even point out the peeling rose colored script wallpaper?

Replacing the original 72″ vanity with a 60″ and the removal of the half wall added another 18″ to the outside wall lay-out, creating a more open space – visually and literally.  The dark stained vanity has cane inset doors that, along with the drawers, are soft closing.  The Carrara marble counter features a pair of undermount ceramic sinks.  While the cabinet with attached counter and sinks arrived in one piece, the backsplash was not so lucky x 3.  Several deliveries later, the vanity’s finishing detail was in place.

white subway tile shower with exposed shower set via AtticmagDD2 had been wavering on a design direction until she saw the Chocolate Bath.  The glass shower enclosure with exposed riser shower set was exactly the nudge she needed.  Ordering online gave her more options, including the ceramic sunflower shower head that delivers both in looks and function.  An awkward corner shower was replaced with a slightly larger square version that now reaches to the top of the window trim.  The shower’s  3″ x 6″ subway tile was ordered from a local tile showroom, and internet price matching was ours for the asking.  The shampoo niche is lined in tile, edged in marble pencil trim and the shelves were cut from the broken backsplash remnants. Where the tile meets a wall (top and sides) edging includes the pencil trim.

white subway tile shower with marble pencil trim detail via AtticmagA decorative row of the marble pencil trim was added just above the base cove.  By purchasing the trim at a big box store,  DD2 saved $10 per piece versus the same material offered at the tile store.  This small detail adds a little something special.  The shower curb [first photo] is covered with off the shelf marble tiles cut to size.  The white floor tile was replaced with octagon and dot, and Delorean Gray grout was chosen after DD2 decided on Ben Moore Stonington Gray wall color.  The Ultra White beadboard and crown paint is the trim color used throughout her home.

white painted wood wainscot and tub apron via AtticmagThe original garden tub was generously oversized, so square footage was reclaimed in both width and length.  This allowed the shower door to open against the wall between shower and tub with room to spare.  The deep soak whirlpool tub is serviced by a vintage style wall mount gooseneck faucet.  Its handheld shower makes bathing her toddler easier.  With the ceiling height at 9 feet, Mr Shops installed the 1″ thick pine tongue and groove beadboard 60″ high.  It was carried across the front of the tub since the pump can be serviced via an access panel in the adjacent closet.  The Clarissa crystal chandelier and its antique silver filigree crown add a bit of sparkle.  After seeing vintage coat racks being used for towels in Red White and Blue Bath, DD2 purchased one for each bath.  With wall space at a premium, it’s a unique and attractive alternative.  Off-white burlap was shirred for a simple window treatment and frosted window film was applied to the glass for privacy.

white painted bookcase in master bathroom tub niche via AtticmagMr Shops built a bookcase at one end of the tub, and lined the back with beadboard.  This charming feature allows DD2 to personalize the room with favorite accessories and, with no linen closet, there’s a place for extra towels.  Amy Butler towels and the abstract wrapped canvas above the tub bring in colors from the master bedroom.  Keeping the remodel neutral will allow DD2 to easily change the color scheme as her taste evolves.

before master bathroom remodelThis before photograph shows Truett peaking in from the master bedroom.  The racetrack style lighting was harsh and overheated the room.  Replacing brass cabinet hardware with turquoise knobs and adding crown moulding were the only changes DD2 made to the master bathroom after buying the house.

Water Creations London dark stained double vanity withe Carrara marble countertop via AtticmagWhat a difference!  Lighting was replaced with a pair of elegant fixtures.  Their metal frames have a rich patina and are complemented with serene opal etched glass.  DD2 plans to replace the vanity hardware with vintage style crystal knobs.

Sunrise Specialty vintage style cross handle sink faucets via AtticmagCustom beveled mirrors using frosted moulding also have the mixed gold and silver patina finish.  Brushed nickel sink faucets have cross handles with ceramic buttons keeping the vintage feel.

dark stained double vanity with Carrara marble counter via AtticmagA vintage tray on the vanity and turquoise ceramic garden stool in the shower are functional pieces added once she began using her new bathroom.  The master bath remodel is an aesthetic improvement DD2 will enjoy daily and there is no doubt it will dazzle potential buyers when the time arrives. For now, she can keep pinching herself.

Pottery Barn Clarissa crystal chandelier in the bathroom via AtticmagSources:
Vanity – Vintage Tub & Bath, Water Creations London Collection 60″ Double Vanity
Glass Shower Enclosure – Alabama Glass Specialist
Exposed Shower Set – Sunrise Specialty #522, Brushed Nickel, 8″ Center, 32″ Riser
Sink Faucets – Sunrise Specialty #12, #18 Cross Handles, Brushed Nickel
Tub – American Standard 5′ Evolution Deep Soak EverClean Comfort Jet Whirlpool
Wall Mount Tub Faucet – Strom Plumbing by Sign of the Crab #P1037M, Matte Nickel
Subway Tile – Dal Tile Rittenhouse, 3″ x 6″ White Semi-Gloss
Cove Base Tile – Dal Tile Rittenhouse, 3″ x 6″  White Matte
Marble Pencil Trim – Lowe’s, Venatino Polished Pencil Trim
Marble Tiles – Home Depot, Greecian White Polished Marble
Hexagon and Dot Floor – Dal Tile Rittenhouse, White Matte
Grout – Home Depot, Delorean Gray
Paint – Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray (walls) and Valspar Semi-Gloss Ultra White
Tongue & Groove Knotty Pine Pattern Beadboard – Home Depot #604437, 1″ x 6″ x 8′
Chandelier – Pottery Barn, Clarissa
Vanity Lights – Quoizel, Devereaux
Mirrors – David’s Arts and Frames, Roma Moulding #1654 Gianni 2″ Frosted Silver
Towels – Amy Butler, Bed Bath & Beyond
Garden Stool – HOMEdeco-direct, Turquoise Square Frame Lattice
Artwork over Tub – Imagekind, Wild Herringbone by Nancy Ramirez

For more of DD2′s home see Informal Picture Wall, Eclectic Gender-Neutral Nursery, Hidden Laundry Spaces , Guest Room Turned Playroom and  Master Bedroom Redo.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design.

27 Responses to “My Daughter’s Master Bath Redo”

1. Shanee February 25, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Wow….amazing makeover! So much to like, but I think my favorite is the vanity….or maybe the adorable chandy! I have one in my bath on a dimmer and it MAKES a long bubble bath. Thanks for sharing, great job.

2. Tricia February 25, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Spectacular renovation! I love the new vanity and that shower is amazing! The new bathroom looks beautiful AND functional.

3. Cindy February 25, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Gorgeous! Love the choices from the vanity to the fixtures…great job!
    Thanks so much for visiting…
    Blessings,
    Cindy

4. Cristina@remodelandolacasa February 25, 2013 at 11:07 am #

A-mazing transformation! I love it all, the vanity, the new shower, the chandelier, Oh my, so classy! It gives me great inspiration for when I tackle my bath! Thanks

5. Holly February 25, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Such a beautiful transformation. I bet your daughter is so excited to have such a tranquil and peaceful and beautiful retreat. ~ Holly

6. kim February 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

How nice. At least she was able to downsize the tub.

7. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage February 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

I agree with Truett – this is a fabulous bathroom any girl would adore! Great touches like the colored grout, garden stool in shower, bookcase by bathtub and lighting all combine to make one stunning room!

Off to pin this beauty – thanks for sharing!
    Kelly

8. Carol February 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Wow, this is gorgeous! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and then leaving me a note about this redo — it was well-worth a visit!

9. Shirley@Housepitality Designs February 25, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Beautiful bathroom reno…love the subway tile and the bookcase at the end of the tub…so many wonderful attention to detail…Fantastic job!!…

10. Scribbler February 25, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

Your post is very timely — we are doing some improvements around here, and the first thing happening in the Master Bath is the removal of a corner jetted tub that takes up half (literally) of a very small bath.

I am toying with the idea of not even having a tub, but first I am going to study the space without the tub to decide what else I want to do. Right now you can’t see the forest for the trees.

I really like the shower!

11. Kerry February 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

LOVE it ALL, from the beautiful, rich vanity, to the clean and fresh tile, to the fabulous built-in shelves!! Thanks for stopping by homecrush and steering me over here — soo pretty!

12. Christy February 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Love it!! What a beautiful transformation! I think my favorite is the chandelier!
    Thanks for sharing:)

Christy

13. Arda February 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

OMG Allison, this washroom had me drooling! I love everything about it! I have similar tile and hate that I used white grout! I’m eventually going to regrout it with dark grey just like this one. It makes such a dramatic difference. I also love the bookshelf! Great job! I’m sure she’s going to enjoy it for years and years! Very classic!

14. laura@Top This Top That February 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

what a an amazing transformation. I love all of the datails particularly the built-ins beside the tub. Bravo to all involved in creating a wonderful bath.

15. Helen February 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Allison, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the note for me to visit your daughter’s bath makeover. I’ve been there and bath makeovers can really be a pain. Hers looks great and well worth the setbacks to get it right. Thanks, Helen

16. Allison February 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you all for the nice comments! She’s still looking for a rug to go in front of the vanity. Patience will pay off.

17. Ann K February 25, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Wonderful transformation!! I think I would take twice as long to get ready in the morning if my bathroom looked like that. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a note. Enjoyed this makeover.

18. Kelly @ Babiole de Windsor February 25, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Your daughter has done an amazing job with this redo! Really amazing. Love, love, love that chandelier – it’s just perfect for the space.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving the kind words :) Comments & new followers are always so exciting.

Kelly
    babioledewindsor.blogspot.com

19. MariaElena February 26, 2013 at 8:16 am #

What an amazing transformation! The bathroom is gorgeous! I love the vanity and the shelf over the bathtub is an amazing idea. I would never leave that stunning bathroom! I am sure your daughter will enjoy it for many years to come.

20. Deedra February 26, 2013 at 11:12 am #

That is absolutely beautiful and timeless! I love that it is neutral with added pops of color. Great job!

21. RHome410 February 26, 2013 at 11:39 am #

What a fantastic change! The choices are perfect. Love the builtin shelf at the end of the tub, the light fixtures, and the new, elegant shower!

22. cat_mom February 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Spectacular transformation!!!

23. Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle February 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

LOVE this bathroom! That shower is amazing! I love the color choices! Life to the full, Melissa

24. Taunnie February 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

All good things come to those who wait and this remodel is very, very good :)

25. Jennyfromtheblock April 3, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

I haven’t checked in for a while, but this turned out so good! I love all the extra pieces and accents (like the showerhead fore example) that take it from being just a gorgeous white bathroom to something really fashionable and personal.

• Allison April 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Thank you! (It’s good to see you!)

1. My Daughter's Bathroom Redo | Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design - March 14, 2014

[…] recently shared our youngest daughter’s (DD2) master bathroom remodel in her mid-90′s garden home.  While the master was gutted, more budget friendly ideas were […]