Built-ins For Pets 2

built-in dog bed in mudroom via AtticmagMore clever ideas to make life comfy for our fur family.

I continue to collect various ways for us to include pet-friendly areas in our homes.  We all know it’s not really whether Mama’a happy – it’s whether our dogs and cats are happy.  No “beware of dog” sign needed, as this big guy is all smiles. And who wouldn’t be, with his own space in the mudroom.  Humans should be happier too – no bending down to pick-up boots.

custom base cabinet hidden dog bed area with fabric curtain via AtticmagThe base cabinet next to a doorway puts doggie in prime position for meeting and greeting.  Notice this cabinet was designed with him in mind, as there is no knob on the front panel.  A washable curtain makes his den more private.

custom built in dog bed with arched opening via AtticmagNon-pet owners won’t understand all the beds in eating areas, but pet peeps know (and understand) they are always close by.

custom end table dog crate with wood spindle doors via AtticmagAnimals love and crave attention, but it’s nice to have a safe place for them to be contained when guests drop by.  Here, a window bench at the kitchen table is nestled against a custom crate.  Spindle doors not only allow much needed airflow, but still gives them a visual connection to those nearby.

large custom built in dog bed niche with arched opening via AtticmagThis arched niche is big enough for two.  Custom cushions can be fabricated from fast dry foam and outdoor fabrics for easy cleaning.

vintage chest repurposed into hidden litter box via AtticmagOut of sight, out of mind?  We love our feline friends, but decorating obsessed humans despise the dreaded litter box.  This blogger repurposed a vintage chest into a hidden space with an idea and a sharp saw.  The drawer boxes were removed and the drawer fronts were attached and hinged.  A pet door was placed on the side.

custom base cabinet cat silhouette cut out for hidden litter box via AtticmagSimilar to the cat cut-out in Built-ins For Pets (Part 1), this mudroom laundry room combo has a double door entry with mat (to catch the litter before it hits the wood floors).  The litter box is most likely behind door #1 (to the right) and in the dead corner space.

custom base cabinet cat silhouette cut out for hidden litter box via AtticmagA modern cat cut-out graces this pair of cabinet doors.  Notice these two examples extend to the bottom from the door as well (no frame).

cat litter box hidden inside base cabinets via AtticmagNot handy?  You can still have a base cabinet litter box – just not as fancy.  This one takes up more real estate but gives them the top left shelf for a litter catching mat and storage below.  For those with cats that like to push littler out of the box, using a large plastic container solves that problem.

under the stairs dog bed den with custom iron gate door via AtticmagLast, but not least, an under the stair way space gives pets room to roam.   A custom iron door adds a decorative touch, as does the heartfelt script above.

Don’t miss the double duty Utility Room Tub Sink, perfect for bathing pets.

(Sources:  Home Klondike, Better Homes & Gardens, That Inspirational Girl, House of Turquoise, Cat Basket, Internet, Maukaja, Recaptured Charm)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Home Decor.

12 Responses to “Built-ins For Pets 2”

1. Tricia Rose May 9, 2012 at 1:37 am #

I can see I’ll have to hone my jig-saw skills! and I love the tidy, safe, tucked-away pet beds too.

• Allison May 9, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I don’t want to hone jig-saw skills, so I have Mr Shops. ;D I use the Breeze pellet system – love it. No litter box dust, and no mat needed!

2. Jordan@the2seasons May 9, 2012 at 8:57 am #

These are all great. I would love to have something like this for our dog Gracie but I can’t figure out where it would work in our house. I am sure the animals love having a space to call their own.

3. laxsupermom May 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Love these ideas! The custom gate on the under stairs alcove makes the space really stand out. Thanks for sharing.

4. RHome410 May 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

You always kill me with these types of pics. We could so use something like this in our house with so many pets, especially the 2 big dogs… and just as much with the busy-body new little dog, come to think of it. But we didn’t plan anything so great, and don’t have the room. What wonderful solutions.

• Allison May 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

;D I don’t have anything nifty in our house either. But next time….

5. lisa June 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Where can I find the cabinet in the 9th picture down from the top-I am looking for that EXACT thing?!?!?

6. Allison June 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Lisa, it’s just a regular cabinet box with two holes cut in to the sides. The holes are framed with a regular pet door. You can leave the door flap on or remove.

7. Karen May 18, 2013 at 12:48 am #

I love the animal bed ideas but cat cat box in a kitchen cupboard?!
    Yikes! Not acceptable in my house! And I’m a cat lover!

8. Allison May 18, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Karen, I don’t see a litter box in a kitchen cupboard. The double door cut-out under the sink is in a mudroom/laundry room. The other two don’t say, but could also be in a laundry room, mudroom or hallway.

1. Designing for Pets | Kym RodgerKym Rodger - December 4, 2013

[…] not take advantage of the opportunity to conceal unsightly areas like the cat litter box? Adding a small doorway opening to cabinet doors in a laundry room or mudroom creates a private spot for cats to do their business, and keeps the […]

2. Built Ins for Pets | Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design - January 5, 2014

[…] For more pet friendly ideas, see Built-ins For Pets 2. […]