La Cornue W. Collection

La Cornue W Collection induction tableTraditional meets modern in the Cornue W. line.

Sept. 5, 2013 – Update! The sleek induction table from La Cornue W. Collection is now available in the U.S. via Purcell Murray.  The price tag is a hefty $26,500, but with all things luxury, you get what you pay for.   ♦  ♦  ♦

Induction cooktops have been rising in popularity, and with good reason.  They use a magnetic field to heat what’s inside the pan, rather than the pan itself.  Converting 86 percent of energy into heat, induction cooktops are fitting for a combo Earth Day-shopping post.

La Cornue has collaborated with French architect Jean-Michel Wilmotte who designed an induction table – unfitted at its finest.  Underneath the smooth glass surface are four inductors, each with boost function.  The inductive burners are laid out in an arc to provide a central workspace.

La Cornue W Collection induction table knob detailThe table, a traditional furniture piece, was given dials with a retro feel and a convenient towel rail.  The induction table can be placed against a wall or central position in the kitchen.  Its sleek silhouette is captivating, and the openness beneath the table will allow smaller kitchens to feel large.

La Cornue W Collection induction tableOther pieces in the collection include the electric Big Vaulted Oven Tower (bottom storage tray and top storage cupboard) and tempered glass and lacquered metal W. Hood.

There is no date for availability in or price for the U.S. at press time.

(Source: La Cornue)

, , , , , , ,

13 Responses to La Cornue W. Collection

1. Tricia Rose April 19, 2012 at 2:04 am #

My goodness, that is sleek. No price tag?

• Allison April 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I’ve emailed asking prices and date availability. I only discovered the line late last night, but searched for $$ this morning without luck.

2. Jane F April 19, 2012 at 6:57 am #

O.M.G. that is so 21st century kitchen I want to rip out everything and go minimalist!!

3. Allison April 19, 2012 at 9:48 am #

The W. Collection just premiered on Monday at La Cornue Milan. I haven’t been able to find a price online.

Wouldn’t it get great instead of a chunky range? My problem would be where to put (hide) wall ovens… one reason I didn’t mind getting a range – didn’t want wall ovens. I hope we start seeing real life kitchens with the induction table. I want to see how people treat them – leave the space open underneath, or shelves for pots… or a spot for Fido to eat. I see a pair of vintage woven baskets with lids and leather straps for out of the way – yet close by – storage.

4. RHome410 April 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Oh. My. Goodness. That is beautiful. But I could never keep clear and empty space under it… I know I’d need shelves or something, or things would probably pile up.

The other thing, obviously is it offers NO storage or organization… So in a small kitchen, this would be wasted space?

It’s definitely gorgeous. Just not for the way I do things (and I’m thinking back to when there were many fewer of us).

• Allison April 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

But a range doesn’t offer storage either, just ovens. Even in a small space, I’d rather have “pretty” and give up the storage. I would have as a large a cupboard as possible and do a total unfitted kitchen.

• RHome410 April 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

But if the ovens aren’t there, then they take storage elsewhere for things that, alternatively, might fit under the cooktop. I just couldn’t convince myself to leave a perfectly functional piece of kitchen empty! ;-)

I have decided, though, that I agree with Jane’s opinion below that big pantries could do well to replace some smaller cabinets… Especially uppers, which is a whole ‘nother discussion.

5. Jane F April 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

The whole idea is to see the sculpture of the table. I wouldn’t want anything much behind it and — you know me — I’d tile the wall behind with pattern.. How gorgeous would that be?

There could be drawers on each side and I’ve always thought that one big pantry style cupboard offers more space than divided smaller ones. But everyone has their own ideas.

I don’t love range ovens. I like wall ovens. But this one doesn’t look like an oven — so I like it even more! It’s like a European baker’s oven and I’m betting there’s storage above and below. Cannot wait to see these in person.

This really rethinks the whole kitchen in terms of induction. Custom units could be put in that are essentially counters. Very European.

• Allison April 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

“Other pieces in the collection include the electric Big Vaulted Oven Tower (bottom storage tray and top storage cupboard)” You’re so excited about the collection you can’t see/read straight. ;D

I like the idea of a pattern tile floor to ceiling behind the table. I had an induction cooktop from 1986 to 1994 – loved it. Only got rid of it since we were remodeling the kitchen and it was white. If Mr Shops hadn’t wanted gas, I would have gotten induction.

6. laxsupermom April 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Oh My! I think I may have found a new love. I could see that used as an island/table/everything surface in a sleek Manhattan studio. If my friend wasn’t currently looking at Connecticut real estate, I’d insist she needed to get one for her tiny Upper WestSide studio just so I could visit it.

7. marthavila April 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

If ever do another kitchen, this would be exactly the kind of range unit that would make me consider going with induction. So cool!

8. Jane F April 22, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Don’t depend on me to read Allison. I get mesmerized by the pictures and the look.

An oven tower makes so much more sense to me than a huge low one that takes a long time to come to temperature, longer to recapture heat if the oven is opened, bad visibility, inevitable hot spots. And the table does double duty. My electric smoothtop is similar — I can set up the griddle, the steamer or open out the Breville grill on there and use the hood.

9. Allison April 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Press agent for La Cornue said there is no date as of yet for availability in or projected price for the U.S.