New Hampshire Farmhouse Kitchen

yellow farmhouse kitchen with pine-green tiled range nicheFor our first “Kitchen Week,”* sunny colors and a dramatic tiled range niche offer a timeless look.

Stop for a moment and study the color of the green tile in the niche just above the range in this country-style kitchen.  Then re-imagine neutral-color tile. Blah! I’d never have given it a second look! That’s because tile can be the most powerful factor in a kitchen, with more impact than paint.  Wherever it’s used, tile adds the proverbial triple play – color, texture and pattern.

yellow farmhouse kitchen with pine green tiled range nichePredominately, this is a Tuscan yellow kitchen – cabinets and walls are sunflower and the floor blends in. The tall pantry cabinet painted pale orange offers a hint of New England Shaker kitchen style. Abundant natural light keeps it bright. So by choosing tile as dark as this pine-green Arts & Crafts style crackle in the recessed space that hugs the Wolf dual-fuel range,  the eye automatically goes there.

yellow farmhouse kitchen with pine-green tiled range nicheAnimal-theme accent relief tiles in a deep-green field spark the woodsy theme. While I don’t have the exact source for the tile, it’s similar to revival styles that can be found in collections by Mission Tile West, and North Country Tile in Vermont, home base to the architects, Smith and Vansant.

details of green Arts & Crafts tile niche in a yellow farmhouse kitchenThe niche has some great features and we have some juicy details. A simple arch defines the top of the space. The range is recessed so that all the cooking vapors and splatter are trapped and funneled up into the center baffle. And because there are lengths of counter on each side, there is space to build in proper lighting over those workspaces.  The niche ceiling is also tiled, which makes for easy cleaning.

green tile range niche in yellow farmhouse kitchenAmple stone counter space plus a bank of drawers adds real functionality to the niche. Shallow condiment shelves are built in on each side and while I quibble with storing olive oil or spices in a location this hot, there can be no argument about the convenience of having a mini pantry so close by. Note the rustic stone shelves and elegant textured Greek key motif border tile.

yellow farmhouse kitchen with green-tiled range nicheI often hear people refer to timeless kitchens, those which won’t date quickly. While appliances are usually the tipping point, having a kitchen with a color scheme as original as this one, and uncommonly fine tile brings it up to classic quality.

(Source: Smith and Vansant)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 746 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Home Decor.

11 Responses to “New Hampshire Farmhouse Kitchen”

1. laxsupermom March 5, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Beautiful example of a range niche done right! There was a thread over on GW about range niches, and so many of them were created with no landing / work space. I love the scale of this one and the tiles are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

2. Black Eyed Susans Kitchen March 5, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Beautiful kitchen…I particularly like the green tiles around the range…yes, timeless is the word I would use.

3. Janette@the2seasons.com March 5, 2012 at 10:07 am #

I love the colors.

4. Christine March 5, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I love the green tiles with the built ins. What a gorgeous kitchen!…Christine

5. Anita March 5, 2012 at 10:23 am #

LOVE this kitchen!! It is so sunny and warm and looks like a great place to cook!! Beautiful!!

6. Terry March 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Absolutely rocking colors many so many colors, most very saturated, right down to the red knobs on the range. I’m tired of neutral. Bravo. Where’s the fridge? I’d hope one could approach something like this on a less elite budget.

7. joann March 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Love the colors!

8. RHome410 March 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Love the theme week! (Big surprise, I’m sure) Like Lax said, this niche is done right with workspace included, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to incorporate better spice storage like they have. The tile is really great. Not sure I’d go quite that color, but I think it’s the gold that I don’t like, not the green. I do love the bunnies… a lot. :-)

9. Jane F @ Atticmag March 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Agree, it’s really done right and I do see that very often. Lighting in the top, plus the tile and then the workspace on each side with a drawer stack below are pluperfect and show an arch who knows how a kitchen should work. Even those with the space don’t think it through as well.

And it’s nice to see some real color vs white white white. Nothing wrong with white but so much of it!

Terry — do think the concept could be done with any range and any kitchen if the designer was good enough. Fridge (SZ) is also paneled to match cabinets and just to left of range niche.

10. shelia March 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

What a beautiful kitchen and I love the gas range and that pretty green tile. Well, I’d really take the entire kitchen!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

11. Sanghamitra March 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

This is great!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)