Handwriting on the Wall Kitchens

black and white kitchen with full blackboard painted wall

Chalkboard paint isn’t just for kids’ rooms any more.

Last week we showed a wallpaper-illusion console sink bathroom (scroll down one post) with chalkboard-painted walls and handmade chalk designs. Blackboard paint also can add dramatic contrast to a conventional black-and-white kitchen and lets you transform the write-on wall into one that’s purely practical or decorative. Plus it’s quick and easy to erase and change, or embellish with pictures or clocks.

black and white kitchen with black accent chalkboard painted wallPainting a black accent wall also can help make a narrow room appear wider since the dark color makes the wall visually advance.

sea green chalkboard wall in a kitchen with a barn doorBut the chalk paint craze also has created a wide variety of options and new boutique brands. Magnamagic claims their paint can match any color. This seagreen-gray is a step up the sophistication ladder and clearly would be custom.  Hudson Paint offers a  limited palette and small quantities. Home Depot sells Rustoleum chalkboard paint with 12 color tints. The Tilano brand offers a variety of color choices.

black chalkboard paint and magnetic bulletin board Then there’s the magnetic twist with Magnamagic’s primer or paint. In addition they have adhesive-backed magnetic strips that can be placed on walls to create stick-on zones like the area beneath alphabet blocks at the bottom of the board.

yellow eurosplash kitchen space for possible chalkboard paint bulletin boardIn my kitchen there’s a strip of wall adjacent to the land line. Right now it’s a messy catch-all space for grocery lists and phone messages. These kitchens are my inspiration for creating a board in that space which will serve for the lists and messages that I can make big enough for Mr. AM, whose vision has become limited, to easily read. Magnetic? Maybe. And while this space will be bland no longer, here’s a hint: my board will be colorful. Guess which one I’ll choose!

(Source: jennifergray/pinterest, apartmenttherapy, décorpad, gast architects)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 746 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design.

9 Responses to “Handwriting on the Wall Kitchens”

1. laxsupermom March 19, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Love this idea for that space! Looking forward to seeing the reveal!

2. Janette@the2seasons.com March 19, 2012 at 10:05 am #

I like the idea of using a small space, like you plan to do. It seems that the entire walls would create a lot of chalk dust, even do they look good.

3. Karen - The Graphics Fairy March 19, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Such a great look and so handy too!! Love the classic look of the black but that green gray color is really nice as well!

4. Beth March 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I have been wanting to make a chalkboard for our kitchen but when I went to the paint store and saw all the color options I was overwhelmed. I had to come home to decide, lol!

5. Jane F March 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

I’m planning to use a medium gray, to pick up the color of the tile and the stainless steel counter. But need to figure out how to paint a frame on it since it’s an inset. Should be a fun project. May look for a stencil for the frame.

6. Sanghamitra March 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Awesome idea and I love your job!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

7. RHome410 March 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Love these ideas. I might start to worry about chalk dust, but it’s not like it will add any more to the dust issues here, anyway. I can’t wait to see your new wall!

1. INSPIRATION: Blackboard walls « The Cushion Correspondent - November 11, 2012

[...] // Attic Mag [...]