Glass Ceiling Kitchen

kitchen with glass ceiling, La Cornue range and furniture look islandA designer’s culinary work space, built to satisfy artistic aspirations as well as the needs of an active cook.

In this home in suburban Connecticut, a personal vision based on travels to France combined with a love for European furniture inspired a blockbuster kitchen with its own language of ideas and surfaces and —  happily — a budget sufficient to transform the dream into reality. Chief among the many striking features is a complex steel and glass ceiling that resembles a greenhouse, an imposing black La Cornue range with hood to match, and an island styled like antique English furniture that houses a stainless steel prep sink and features a teak-wood top with tiered glass and polished nickel bistro shelves in the center.

Passage Verdeau, Paris 9eActually, the ceiling is patterned after the Passage Verdeau, one of Paris’ mid-19th century shopping arcades with a transparent roof that also functions as a skylight.

detail of the glass and steel kitchen ceilingIn reality, this most elegant ceiling projects up into attic space painted glossy white. Lit from above as well as below, it also lets in some natural light from attic windows. A mix of black-painted track lights and handsome hanging lanterns appear to be part of the ceiling structure.

kitchen with French style glass ceiling and antique furniture style islandWhite-painted perimeter cabinets have marble counters and include furniture details such as the plinth-style bases (instead of toe-kicks). Corner chest-on-chest cabinets seem  especially refined. Just look at how those mirrored doors help reflect the light and provide a glimpse into the breakfast room!
detail of burled walnut and banded mahogany island on legs

The richness of the cabinetry comes from panels of burled walnut veneer banded by mahogany. Rather than being anchored into the reclaimed wood floor, it sits on fluted legs connected by half-moon stretchers.

antique George III mahogany cabinet from Apter FredericksThis antique George III mahogany cabinet is a prototype for the cabinet style.

deep dish-storage drawers in the walnut burl islandDeep drawers in the island include pegs that house Villeroy and Boch Petite Fleur china.

polished copper backsplash and paneled Sub Zero in glass ceiling kitchenA polished copper backsplash adjacent to the paneled SubZero also helps reflect light in the kitchen. Both the refrigerator and freezer are fitted with Baldwin “Springfield” polished nickel exterior door pulls.

One wall of the breakfast room, adjacent to the kitchen, is devoted to a rustic hutch that houses a pair of U-Line refrigerator/freezer drawers concealed behind panels as well as two open sections on each side. One has basket storage and the other serves as a pet feeding station. The counter top is inset with black granite for durability. Black-painted, decorative wall shelves for dishes and mugs have a robust antique style. Their height above the dresser  easily accommodates appliances.

breakfast room bar and hutch also includes a pet-feeding stationA bar sink, with filtered water faucet, serves the breakfast bar. Plumbing is visible at the back of the sweet doggie space for Gracie.

(Source: tradhome, Apter Fredericks, google images)

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Glass Ceiling Kitchen

1. Terry February 20, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Just wow and perfectly coordinated with puppy..

2. laxsupermom February 20, 2012 at 9:28 am #

I love everything about this kitchen! I started saving pics to my inspiration file, but just ended up bookmarking the page, because the kitchen is so fabulous in it’s entirety. Thanks for sharing.

3. mbwife February 20, 2012 at 10:44 am #

that ceiling! I have to admit I was disappointed it wasn’t a real glass ceiling. But what a concept!

4. RHome410 February 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Ok, the island is not really my style, but I love, love, love it and everything else in this kitchen… The breakfast area is too wonderful for words.

Actually, everything would stay but the bistro shelf. After I knocked it down and broke it all over, I’d be just as happy without it in the way. ;-)

5. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions February 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

What a gorgeous kitchen, Jane! Thank you for sharing it! The ceiling is fantastic but I just love the whole kitchen.

6. Jane F February 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Haha Elaine, after you saw a display of your home baked pies and breads on that bistro shelf I think you might have a change of heart.

mb wife, it is actually a real glass ceiling. It just isn’t open to the outside — too hot I guess — though I would give anything for half that type of ceiling and would gladly pull fabric shades across it if necessary.

7. cat_mom February 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Oh my–what a cool kitchen! Totally not my preferred style, but I could adjust! Not only that ceiling, but the space, the cabinets (that wood!), I could deal with it! :-)

8. ChanaGoanna February 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

One of my all-time favorite kitchens, and one of my inspiration pics for my range wall! I thought the backlit glass ceiling idea was so clever. Hadn’t seen the other side of the kitchen before–how beautiful! So glad you featured this one.

9. Jane F February 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

This kitchen is just loaded with super refined ideas. My favorite is the breakfast bar base.

10. marthavila February 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

That’s gotta be one of the best kitchens I have ever seen in my life! Unbelievable . . . and yet there it is. Right on the pages of AM. I love the bistro shelf! And, the bar sink!. And, of course the ceiling! (Although what puts this kitchen over the top, I’m sure, is Gracie!) :- Thanks so much, Jane, for these few moments of voyeuristic kitchen pleasure.

11. emkelly August 23, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

I personally know the builder of this fine kitchen, Ian Dowell, of Dowell Woodworking LLC in Connecticut. I would like to give kudos to the perfection in the craftsmanship…a talent often overlooked as being such an imperative component in the success of such designs.

To contact Ian Dowell: dowellian@gmail.com

Erin Kelly

Interior Deisgner
    Westport, CT

1. Decorative Trims for Draperies | Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design - February 18, 2014

[…] houseandhome, tradhome, samuelandsons, guygoodfellow, about.com, […]