Hidden Laundry Spaces

hidden washer and dryer behind cabinet doors from Better Homes and Gardens via AtticmagNow you see it, now you don’t!  Clever ideas to conceal a washer and dryer.

The popularity of front loading appliances has given the decorating obsessed crowd (those who don’t want them to be “seen”) another area for creativity with the home design process.  DD2 and I easily fall into that crowd.  When she purchased her home, the laundry area was one of the first places we (“we” meaning mostly Mr. Shops) tackled.  I’m saving her revamped space for last, so first we’ll look at other inventive ways to keep those beasts out of sight when not in use.  A single door disguised as a pair of drawers [top] with bin pulls hides each appliance.  Taking advantage of the extra deep counter space available with front loaders, two pairs of doors open to reveal storage for laundry necessities.

hidden washer and dryer behind lower cabinet doors from Home Trend Design via AtticmagA single inset door also hides each appliance here, but notice the board along the floor that suggests a flush toe kick.  I think this piece would have to be removed in order to pull-out the washer or dryer for service.  While we’re on the subject, if you decide to enclose your appliances, be sure the water cut-off (and sometimes a natural gas line) is within easy reach in case of a leak.  Cut-offs can be installed in the laundry room sink base cabinet.

hidden washer and dryer behind lower cabinet doors from Jones Design Company via AtticmagThis cheerful yellow laundry room has a pair of bi-fold doors.  I love the uninterrupted, deep counter with equally deep sink.  The counter material is doubled behind the wall-mounted faucet so the knobs are within reach.  Don’t forgot to allow for dead space behind the appliances (for water pipes, dryer vent hose or gas line), or you’ll end up short on under-the-counter space.

washer dryer laundry closet in bathroom from This Old House via AtticmagThis duo is stacked in a bathroom laundry closet.  I love the shutter-style board and batten doors.  Remember to make the closet opening larger than the width of the washer and dryer, so they can be removed without taking off the doors.

custom hidden washer dryer closet from Salisbury Artisans via AtticmagI only thought I loved my laundry room, until I saw this one.  Everything about this custom space is visually stunning to me (who cares if it’s not 100% practical!) – the raised diamond pattern door hiding a stacked set, a metal wash tub sink with arched marble backsplash, chicken wire on the base storage cabinet, old brick flooring and wooden beams.

laundry room closet with interior door storage shelves from Junk Garden Girl via AtticmagNow this is a serious workhorse!  An extra deep closet hides a pair of appliances that are raised a step - similar to toe kick drawers used in kitchens – making it easier to reach into them when adding or removing the laundry.  The simple counter offers a space for folding.  No space is left unused, as the door interiors feature multiple shelves and hooks for cleaning supplies.  A single, high shelf makes room for the mop bucket and more.  If this washer and dryer were stacked, there would be room to store a vacuum, pet food or shelves for bulk paper products.

pumpkin orange barn doors hiding laundry room from House Beautiful via AtticmagA pair of bold pumpkin color interior barn doors slide out of the way to reveal the laundry space in this ocean-side home.

modern louvered sliding doors hide laundry closet from Sunset via AtticmagThis pair of modern sliding doors have a zen-like feel to them.  Since this laundry closet is located in the kitchen, the door on the right is probably a pantry.

laundry room hidden by sliding bookcases from Lindy Donnelly via AtticmagBookcases cleverly slide out of the way to reveal this hidden laundry space.  It’s a good solution for an apartment, loft or small home where every inch counts.

washer dryer cabinet in upstairs hallway by Danielle Oakely Interiors via AtticmagAnother out of the norm laundry space is in an upstairs landing/hallway area.  It’s closer to the bedrooms and bathrooms here than if it were downstairs.  (Would teenagers be more inclined to wash their own things with a handy set nearby?)  An important safety feature for every upstairs laundry space is the installation of a drip pan that includes a water cut-off sensor to catch water leaks and prevent flood damage.

hidden washer dryer in wood stain cupboard with chalkboard doors from Country Living via AtticmagThe lady of this house wanted a washer and dryer in her bedroom.  The lower pair of doors featuring chalkboard inserts are new, but painted to resemble the vintage piece on top. Notice the numbers on each of the fabric gathered doors – a nice touch.

laundry room before from AtticmagNow for DD2′s laundry room makeover.  This before picture from the real estate listing shows the small room that is a walk-thru from her garage into the back hallway.  The washer and dryer had already been removed by the previous owner, so DD2 purchased her dream front load LG washer and steam dryer.  Basic 1990′s builder grade oak cabinets and unimpressive vinyl flooring ruled.  She wanted the space to look non-utilitarian, while reflecting her style.  DD2 spotted the purple printed fabric for the skirt at Hancock Fabric and purchased palace yellow Sunflower Medallion knobs at Anthropologie.  Angel kept me company as I sewed the fabric into a two piece skirt.

hidden washer dryer with fabric skirt from AtticmagMr Shops started by adding the wood counter, then the back piece that hides the water cut off valves.  The back can easily be removed for valve access – you can barely see one of the three toggles holding it closed.  The walls had been painted BM Saybrook Sage after she moved in, so only the cabinets needed painting.  We installed a curtain tension rod with metal curtain rings so that the fabric skirts slides out of the way to access the appliances.

After ordering a few too many purple FLOR tiles for her living room, she decided to use the extras here for now.  They hold up to traffic and can literally be taken outside to hose down in necessary.  The three vintage irons belonged to relatives and the colorful fabric covered box keeps several often used items close by.  When DD2 has tile installed in the kitchen, she will repeat the tile in this space.  At that time, she will decide what to install on top of the painted counter so that it is more practical.  A framed black and white photograph on the left, two vintage tin pieces on the right and a wire photo holder on the wall opposite the cabinets (both not shown) where she can clip cards, pictures and mementos finished the space.  DD2 is happy with the results, saying that walking through the space is no longer depressing and that even doing laundry is more enjoyable.

For more of DD2′s home see My Daughter’s Dining Room Redo, the Eclectic Gender-Neutral Nursery , Guest Room Turned Playroom and My Daughter’s Master Bath Redo.

(Sources: BH&G, Home Trend Design, Jones Design Company, This Old House, Salisbury Artisans, Junk Garden Girl, House Beautiful, Sunset, Lindy Donnelly, Danielle Oakley Interiors, Country Living)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design.

27 Responses to “Hidden Laundry Spaces”

1. Pam October 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

I love so many of them, but especially the ones with the chalkboards.

Thanks for sharing!

Pam

• daisy fisher March 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

love them all but first one the best

2. Rita May October 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

WOW…great laundry spaces! Thanks for stopping by MAY DAYS.
    I was my old afghans in laundry detergent and Downy and throw them in the dryer. They turn out great. Wool might ‘felt’, so check .before

3. Sarah October 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

Oh, I just love the one with the wash basin sink! It is gorgeous!

4. Erin October 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

What a great post! We put our washer/dryer in our master closet and after seeing this, I wish we’d enclosed them!

5. Pinky October 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

OMG, I am saving this post for sure! I LOVE these ideas! Thanks so much. XO, Pinky

6. Jocelyn October 9, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

I LOVE this! What a great way to conceal the washer and dryer.

7. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime October 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm #

These are great laundry ideas! Btw, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog :) It surely brightened my day.

8. lynne@lynnesgiftsfromtheheart October 10, 2011 at 10:19 am #

What fun and creative ideas to hide the laundry. Thank you for swinging in and leaving a sweet comment. Yes, thank goodness an accident didn’t occur.. hugs ~lynne~

9. Karen October 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

These are great laundry my laundry room rooms. I need all of the inspiration that I can get my laundry room is on my long to do list.

10. RHome410 October 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

What a great collection of creative options! Love the washtub, and barn doors are always a favorite. The ones I really oohed and ahed over are the bookshelves that slide apart, and the extra deep closet with the storage-backed doors, that make the space seem like a whole, although mini, laundry room.

Your dd’s space is gorgeous! We planned a spot for front loader laundry equipment with a counter above, and I never did figure out what people did about valve access. Thanks for showing that great solution… That we can use if we ever have front loaders, instead of the top loader set we inherited. Free beats clever right now.

11. Liz @ Designing Domesticity October 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Wow, lovely! When we lived overseas I used to love how everything was “built in” or covered. We used that idea in our newly remodeled kitchen, but the laundry area is a whole step further. Brilliant! liz

12. Jordan@the2seasons October 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

Wow all the laundry rooms are amazing and I am very jealous. My washer and dryer are old school and live in our dark basement. In the future I plan to add some fun color on the floor and other things to try to spiff it up. I think if I had one of these laundry set ups I might actually like to do the laundry! Thanks for sharing.

13. Lisa October 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

I booked mark so many of those…Great examples…I can only wish to find a galvanized tub and make it into a sink in my laundry room!

14. Kathryn Griffin October 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

I love them all!! It’s got me thinking about my laundry room and what I could do to hide my washer and dryer….hmmm. Thanks for popping in for a visit and the sweet comment (Camille appreciates it) @TheDedicatedHouse. Hope your day has been grand. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

15. sabjimata October 17, 2011 at 7:30 am #

So much clever! Put a barn door on anything and I’m happy ;P

16. kenna November 13, 2012 at 12:24 am #

do cabinets to hide washer and dryers have to custom made or is there anywhere to buy pre-made cabinet to cut cost?

17. Jane F November 13, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Depends on the set up and which cabinets are available in the cabinet line. Also check depth of appliances required so cabinets close easily.

18. Christie Hackney October 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Did she purchase a front loader washer? The original pic shows a toploader. How does that counter work over her washer? It would be soo worth it to get a frontloader if my laundryroom could look like that!

• Allison October 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Christie, the top load washer belonged to the previous owner. The laundry room was empty when she purchased the home, so she bought a front load washer/dryer. Sorry this was not clear in the post.

Allison

19. gail kohr November 19, 2013 at 12:16 am #

I LOVED ALL OF THEM, BUT WHEN I CREATE A NICE LAUNDRY SPACE IN ANOTHER HOUSE WE BUY, I WANT A LARGE BASIN BUILT IN LAUNDRY SINK, NOT ONLY FOR LAUNDRY , BUT I NEED A SINK WHERE I CAN BATHE MY 3 LITTLE DOGS, WHERE I DON’T HAVE TO GET DOWN ON MY KNEE’S AND MY LEGS, WHERE I CAN STAND UP AND BATHE THEM AND ALL THESE BUILDERS NEVER PUT A DEEP BASIN LAUNDRY SINK IN THE UTILITY ROOM. NEVER,NEVER,THEY NEED WOMEN DESIGNING HOUSES, BECAUSE WE THINK OF EVERYTHING AND LOTS OF STORAGE.. WE NEED STORAGE, STORAGE,STORAGE…..

1. The Tour Continues: Kitchen | Growing Up Gillian - January 22, 2013

[...] via [...]

2. How to "hide" your laundry to make your room neat - 13 ideas for you to do so! | How To Instructions - December 19, 2013

[…] All 13 hidden laundry spaces […]

3. 13 Top Ideas For Your Secret Laundry Room | Diy Home Things - February 6, 2014

[…] Atticmag - 13 Top Ideas For Your Secret Laundry Room […]

4. 13 Secret Laundry Room Ideas - February 25, 2014

[…] Attic Mag – 13 Hidden Laundry Spaces […]

5. Where’s your laundry? 13 hidden laundry ideas | Home and Garden | CraftGossip.com - March 22, 2014

[…] Get cracking with these ideas here: 13 hidden laundry room ideas. […]