Gradient Color Painted Dressers

blue gradient color painted dresser from Red Hen Home blogTransform a tired dresser with a smooth blending of shades from light to dark.

Now and then I run across something so creative that I can’t wait to use the idea at my house… or even better, (my youngest) DD2’s house.  When I first saw this vintage dresser Korrie from Red Hen Home painted in gradient colors, I was disappointed DD2 had already purchased a dresser for her eclectic gender-neutral nursery.  The process is simple – using a fan deck or the paint strip display at a local paint store, select a strip and purchase a sample pot of paint for each drawer color.  The top drawer along with the dresser top, sides and feet are usually painted the same (lightest) color.  Gradient color painting is a fun and easy way to update a piece that has seen better days.

gradient color painted dresser from Norske InteriorsThis smaller piece from a Norwegian website is a favorite, not only due to its interesting shape but the soft colors selected.  While many find gradient pieces a tad too cute to use in main areas of the house, they look great in nurseries, children’s and teen’s rooms, even guest rooms.  They lend themselves to modern or country, chic or casual, and cottage or beach decorating styles.

whitewashed gradient painted dresser from The Feminist Housewife blogCaroline, of The Feminist Housewife, was not feeling this white dresser against her white walls, so she decided to add color by whitewashing and lightly distressing. The whitewashing effect can be achieved by cutting the bottom color paint as many times as needed (number of drawers) in order to finish the project.

gradient color painted dresser from Primitive & Proper blogAfter seeing the Norwegian dresser, Cassie from Primitive & Proper combined a little elbow grease (aka sanding), priming and painting turned a $30 Salvation Army find into another inspirational piece.

green gradient painted dresser from Lexi FlickrThe blue color family seems to be the popular choice, but I found this bright green version on Flickr.

gradient color wave pattern painted dresser from Completely CoastalMaya, of Completely Coastal, discovered this dresser where the owner took it one step further by incorporating a wave-like pattern.  Spreading seven colors over four drawers certainly made it a more time consuming project, but perfect for a seaside cottage.

(Sources: Red Hen Home, Norske Interiors, The Feminist Housewife, Primitive & Proper, Flickr, Completely Coastal)

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Gradient Color Painted Dressers

1. Jessica September 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Cute ideas! I could do something like that!

2. laxsupermom September 14, 2011 at 9:41 am #

Love this look! So perfect for a kid’s room. Terrific images! Thanks for sharing.

3. Korrie@RedHenHome September 14, 2011 at 11:04 am #

Thanks for featuring my dresser! Only one slight adjustment to suggest…you don’t need a whole quart of paint for each color; a $3 sample pot is plenty, making this a very affordable project!

4. Allison September 14, 2011 at 11:30 am #

You’re welcome! Correction made – thank you.

• Tobey February 21, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

I am in to a process of doing this to a dresser. and I wanted to mention that I tried using test pots of CeCe Caldwells to do the drawers. I wanted to paint each drawer inside and out with the shade of blue I had chosen. The test pots from CeCe Caldwells were not enough for this project. but the test pots of Anne Sloans were more than enough. To get the lighter shades I just added white to the paint, to lighten it. The dresser looks great, love this look. thanks Tobey

5. Tina September 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I love this idea and the way it works well with mid-century pieces. The legs contribute to the lightness. I’m thinking nightstand for my bedroom – more storage without looking like a heavy piece. Terrific!

6. Laura September 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Love these and I am a big fan of all of Korrie’s work

7. lexi June 29, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Thanks for including my green dresser, above! If anyone wants more info, you can learn more about it here:

1. {friday finds: ombré} « Hirshfield's Color Club - September 16, 2011

[…] furniture. Doesn’t the gradation of color remind you of a paint chip? Attic Magazine has a great post showing older dressers transformed into modern beauties.  A can of paint can make a room or piece […]

2. The Everything-But-the-Kitchen-Sink Dresser | Ciburbanity - November 27, 2012

[…] my forays into Pinterest and other design sites, there were lots of color gradient dressers like this one below, that I really […]

3. A fresh coat of paint | Thrift ScoresThrift Scores - November 19, 2013