West Hollywood Italianate Kitchen

italianate kitchen with custom round hood owned by designer Dan MartyOriginal features almost a century old are still sought after details today.

It’s not often you run across a magazine kitchen that has been virtually untouched since its completion in the 1920′s.  Los Angeles designer Dan Marty was the lucky occupant of this historic Villa d’Este apartment when these pictures were taken several years ago. I originally kept the article for the building’s Italian architecture and the quirky stove hood, which looks like a cross between a submarine telescope and a flattened Victrola phonograph horn.  The hood is a feature worth repeating, as are the arched barn wood doors hiding cupboards.  All the little details are so interesting it’s easy to overlook the sink, but don’t miss the petite copper wall mounted light fixtures on either side of the hanging plant container.

italianate kitchen with custom round steel hood owned by designer Dan MartyWhile the storage shelves are convenient, I would rather conceal clutter with a pair of sliding barn wood doors.  Terra-cotta tiles on the counter are also original to the space. I like the simplicity of the one tile high decorative tile edging instead of a wall of tiles.  I’m also coveting the deer plaque above the stove.  Open arched niches below the counter keep wine and cooking supplies close at hand.  This kitchen is a perfect example of what’s old is new again – many kitchen obsessed could move right in.

(Sources: House Beautiful, Maison au Naturel No. 819)

, , , , ,

6 Responses to West Hollywood Italianate Kitchen

1. Nita@ModVintageLife July 19, 2011 at 2:33 am #

That stove hood is fantastic! So glad no one ever redid it. I love old kitchens like this with the original details.

2. mbwife July 19, 2011 at 10:55 am #

What a find! This is a really unique and beautiful kitchen.

3. Beth July 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Love that wine storage niche and the stove hood. I always love seeing unique stove hoods and not just the same old thing !

4. Angie July 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

What an amazing kitchen! Just goes to show you that simple can be functional and beautiful and cozy and charming! I could be quite happy in a kitchen such as this! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

5. Joselyn @The DIY Spot July 20, 2011 at 12:13 am #

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love this kitchen. It is so warm and inviting.

6. Pat@Back Porch Musings July 20, 2011 at 11:41 am #

These images are gorgeous!!

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch. In answer to your question about the deer head, I found it several years ago at a Welcome Home store. Those stores are no longer in business, if I recall correctly.