Eclectic Gender-Neutral Nursery

eclectic gender neutral nursery with dark stain wood sleigh style adjustable crib and custom crib beddingWe’ve created a space the baby will enjoy and one decorated to be in harmony with the rest of the house.

We’re having a baby boom at Atticmag, and it all started a few weeks ago with the Sophisticated Safari Nursery our pal Brandy created for little Blake.  This nursery is near and dear to my heart, as it belongs to our first grandchild.  You may recall several past posts featuring DD2′s home but the nursery is by far the room we have had the most fun creating.  In keeping with the rest of her home, DD2 wanted to use a mix of clean-lined modern and vintage pieces with a punch of bright color.  Like many of today’s moms-to-be, she didn’t want a themed nursery but a room that would grow with the child.  She started planning a gender-neutral space before finding out the baby was a boy and decided to stay with the original plan when time came to make final decisions.

The walls were painted Benjamin Moore Frappe after DD2 purchased the house, and much to my dear husband’s delight, it was decided not to repaint.  She chose a sleigh-style adjustable crib with a dark stain, almost the same color as the hand-scraped hardwood flooring.  Above the crib, she repeated the living room’s random picture placement to create an informal picture wall.  Measurements were noted, and the search for vintage frames began – it was actually much easier than we feared.  A cardboard deer taxidermy was added for a touch of humor.  The rug is plush, hand woven New Zealand wool shag of varying thicknesses that is extraordinarily soft.

eclectic gender neutral nursery Babyletto Nara glider in MochaDD2 selected a modern glider and ottoman upholstered in soft micro-suede.  She took a chance ordering it based on reviews and loves their smooth gliding mechanism.  We both searched online for a ceramic garden stool to use next to the glider but could only find extremely shiny or expensive patina versions.  She found this metal table with a crackle paint top and interesting base — a perfect little table that’s not easily tipped over.

eclectic gender neutral nursery colorful abacus wall art from CB2The colorful abacus was a must-have for DD2.  The bright colors of the wooden beads were a starting point for the nursery.  A long neck ceramic lamp with linen drum shade was chosen to bring the crib bedding’s orange color across the room.  Having the strong color on both sides of the room helps to visually balance the space.

eclectic gender neutral nursery vintage dresser with fabric lined drawers
A vintage dresser found at a local antique store became a changing table with the addition of the changing pad.  Using mat board, headliner (thin, foam-like material used for automobile interior roofs) and spray adhesive, DD2 and I lined the bottom and sides of the dresser drawers with a small print cotton fabric.  The panels were attached to drawer sides using hot glue.  The contoured changing pad is secured to the dresser with Velcro strips for safety.  Peaking out of the top drawer is the handmade embroidered blue shirt and crochet booties DS wore home from the hospital after he was born.  It’s a sweet, new tradition to pass them down the family.

eclectic gender neutral nursery with Babyletto Nara glider and gray blue vintage dresser One thing we both liked about this dresser was the detail on each end.  It a small important design element since this is the angle seen when entering the nursery.  The lined curtain panels are made from multi-color stripe tablecloths.  They have a great texture and are extremely heavy.  The original glider pillow is still at the seamstress having a cover made from left over fabric.

eclectic gender neutral nursery vintage red painted decorative wall shelfA few childhood toys and DD2′s silver baby cup are displayed on this painted decorative shelf.  She discovered the vintage toy airplane when antiquing.  This close-up also shows a detail of the stripe curtains and simple nickel window hardware.

eclectic gender neutral nursery with Babyletto Nara glider in Mocha and a vintage gray dresserI look forward to rocking my grandbaby (for hours) in this comfy corner.  When the glider is no longer needed in the nursery it can easily be moved to another room.  DD2 always tries to take this approach when furniture shopping.

eclectic gender neutral nursery custom crib bedding and organic quilts A detail of the bedding shows two custom organic cotton quilts (in a woodland/animal print fabric and modern stripes) and crib bumper.  DD2 started the bedding purchases by selecting the orange and white garden trellis design fabric.  The shop had just enough yardage for the bumper and crib skirt.  The stripe quilt has a brown bird shaped patch.  DD2 purchased the puppy and donkey on our trip to London a decade ago.

eclectic gender neutral nursery design project boardAs we found things for the nursery, I would snap a screen shot showing the items together – a modern day design board – and email to DD2.  This is a great way for those that have a hard time visualizing.  It’s much easier to see if items look good together or clash.  The orange crib sheet is extremely bright (even more so in pictures), but it achieves bringing in the vivid color.

cabana tablecloth Anthropologie and Creative Co op birdcage chandelierDetail of curtain fabric and birdcage chandelier

eclectic gender neutral nursery vintage corner bookcase and copper bird cage chandelierDD2 debated replacing the ceiling fan with the funky birdcage chandelier she received as a present a few years ago, but the room receives a lot of sunshine through the double windows.  By replacing the bulb with a lower wattage, the chandelier can be used during nighttime changes.  DD2 asked me to keep an eye out for a small bookcase to finish the room.  I spotted the quirky corner piece the very next day, already painted the perfect green.  She placed an elephant bank on top (a gift to Baby J from aunt-to-be, DD1) and quickly asked me to locate the box storing her favorite childhood books.  A small gray step stool was found on the same shopping trip.  It will later move to his bathroom and be replaced with a woven toy storage basket, adding another texture to the room.

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of Baby J, and to DD2 for creating an adorable one-of-a-kind nursery.

Sources:
Crib – Rockland
Crib Bumper, Skirt, Sheets and Changing Pad Cover (Cottage Belles), Quilts (SunaStudios) – etsy
Art Prints (inaluxe, rollandtumblepress, OrangeWillow, jzroszell) – etsy
Deer Taxidermy – Urban Outfitters
Bella Rug – West Elm
Nara Glider and Kyoto Ottoman (Mocha) – Babyletto
Abacus – CB2
Ceramic Lamp – Shades of Light
Tablecloth (curtains) – Anthropologie
Room Essentials Window Hardware – Target
Dresser, Bookcase, Wall Frames, Wall Shelf and Stool – Vintage
Bird Cage Chandelier – Creative Co Op

For more of DD2′s home see Hidden Laundry Spaces, My Daughter’s Dining Room Redo,  Master Bath Redo, Master Bedroom Redo and Guest Room Turned Playroom.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design.

42 Responses to “Eclectic Gender-Neutral Nursery”

1. tina July 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

I LOVE IT!!! I want that donkey LOL!

Ya’ll did a great job! Congrats on the upcoming babe and on such a neat nursery.

tina

2. Jane F @ Atticmag July 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Allison, you and DD2 have outdone yourselves, as usual. She’s also a chip off the you-know-what taste-wise. Congrats all the way around are well and truly due!

3. laxsupermom July 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

Congratulations on the new grandbaby! The nursery is just beautiful! Love the pops of bright color amongst the soothing background she chose. Those convertible cribs are the absolute best. Thanks for sharing.

4. Pam July 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

It looks amazing! I love all of the details. What a lucky baby!

Pam

5. Sweet Bee Cottage July 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

What a fabulous nursery! I have to be honest – I’m not a big orange fan – and yet……I’m charmed and I think it’s perfect. You might have accidentally converted me to an orange liker. The abacus is the best! So cool! I’m sure baby will love it!

6. Cheri July 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Allison, love it! Very peaceful room…can imagine you rocking that grandbaby for many hours…

7. Paula July 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

What a great space for you new grandchild! I love the wall of pictures over the crib, the cozy corner sitting area, the abacus over the changing table, and the changing table dresser that wil provide so much storage. Great job!

8. Confessions of a Plate Addict July 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Oh, Allison! I LOVE it! It is fun, unique and will be a happy place for the new baby! Congrats to you and your family!…hugs…Debbie
    PS…Thanks for entering the giveaway! :-)

9. patti July 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Nicely done…I especially love the abacus!

10. Carolyn July 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

This is such a beautiful nursery. Your grandson is a lucky baby to have such a kind and loving grandmother.

11. Cindy July 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Lovely nursery. I love some of the fabrics on the crib. They have so many cute things out now for babies that make a room so adorable. Nicely done.
    Cindy

12. Pam A diy Design Fanatic July 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

What a great nursery! Love the dresser! The color is wonderful, especially with the accent colors!

13. Susan July 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

Allison-This is just great! I love the bright colors–maybe I can do that when we have #2! :) I loved seeing it and got such a smile over the deer taxidermy. Our dad would love it. I think he is ready to get rid of the smocked day gowns and bring on the camo :) Congratulations on both the grandson and a beautiful little nest for him!

14. Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) July 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

What a wonderful room! I love the whimsical deer head, the vintage plane, your daughter’s baby cup and that awesome abacus. The furniture is just beautiful and I ove the idea of being able to find other uses for pieces when he’s older. You’re going to have so much fun rocking that sweet boy…grandchildren are such a blessing! I can’t wait to have my own! :)

15. Deanne July 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

Great job Allison, almost makes me wish to have a baby to create a new modern nursery! Thanks for visiting!

16. Sarah July 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

Gorgeous! I love all of the color and textures in this room. perfection!

17. Savvy Seasosn By Liz July 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

What a F A B U L O U S nursery! I love the colors, the accessories….everything! The nursery feels so cozy, warm, and inviting! Phenomenal job, and I love how you’ve displayed things on the wall, well done! Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on your 1st grandbaby, how exciting! XO ~Liz

P.S. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog post! *smile*

18. anna July 11, 2011 at 12:28 am #

I love this nursery so much! What a gorgeous color on the walls; it’s the perfect backdrop for all the charming touches the two of you worked so hard to coordinate so perfectly. LOVE the abacus over the changing table, the vintage toys, the funky deer head, the padded dresser, and that quilt hanging on the side of the crib. Everything’s so balanced and soothing and wonderful. DD2 will love the glider (and so will you!); who wouldn’t want to sit in that comfortable rocker for hours in that perfect room with a sweet baby?! Congrats and may she have an easy delivery.

19. pamela July 11, 2011 at 1:49 am #

Oh what fun. I don’t know what to comment on first. I would have to say my favorite elements are definitely the deer head, the orange lamp and that fabulous abacus.
    Congrats on your soon to arrive first grandchild. Big time excitement I am sure.
    Thanks for visiting BeColorful and leaving a comment. I always appreciate your input.
    Pam

20. Rene July 11, 2011 at 7:31 am #

What a charming nursery with so many thoughtful touches. Well done.

21. Pat@Back Porch Musings July 11, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Allison, the nursery is absolutely wonderful!!

22. Emily July 11, 2011 at 8:52 am #

A great nursery for new grandson. I love all the colors in the room, walls, rug and furniture. Your DIL created a beautiful nursery. Thanks for sharing………

~Emily
    The French Hutch

23. wendy owens July 11, 2011 at 10:11 am #

Orange is one of my favorite colors so I was already won over with that but all the little vintage touches really put this nursery over the top. I am honored you used my zebra and squirrel print. Thank you so much and congrats!

24. Melissa July 11, 2011 at 10:15 am #

What a great space for your new grandson!!! I love that the room will grow with him. I especially love the pops of color, the birdcage light, the abacus and the metal table next to the glider. The room looks amazing!!!!

25. shelia July 11, 2011 at 10:28 am #

HI Allison! Oh, what a wonderful little nursery for your little grandson. Love the colors and all the pieces that were chosen. What a great idea using the birdcage for a light! ;) The glider and foot stool look so comfy! I know it’s going to be a hit!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

26. RHoda @ Southern Hospitality July 11, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Allison, what an adorable nursery. Great job on pulling all those eclectic pieces together, it is just beautiful. And congrats on the new grandson. I know you are thrilled. You probably know that I’m back in ATL. Enjoying being back in my hometown!

27. Pamela July 11, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Soooo cute! Love the bird light! Where did you find it?

28. Betsy July 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

I love what you did with this beautiful nursery; I think it makes more sense to decorate this way. I love that colorful abacus and the changing table. Very clever and so creative.
    Thank you so much for visiting with me and your nice comments.

29. Pam July 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

You did a great job on the nursery. I think my favorite part is the green corner bookcase. Or the abacus. Very cute!

30. Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont July 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Oh, I love this nursery! It’s so whimsical and sophisticated at the same time. The color palette is great and that birdcage chandelier is awesome!

Well done!

31. Diane @ home sweet homemade July 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

REALLY nice room for a baby that will convert gracefully into a child’s room without all the kitchiness. Love that! I really adore the tiny vintage toys on the hanging shelf. And of course, the abacus. I made my own version of that CB2 abacus – i loved it so much! numbers are beautiful. what a wonderful room for your grandchild. The room design is awesome :) Thank you so very much for dropping by and those thoughtful comments, I so appreciate it! ~diane

32. Brandy o July 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Allison, the nursery turned out beautiful!! My fav is that dresser and the orange lamp! Love the personalized and charming touches that make for a completely unique and unmatched room! Now it’s on for the best accessory–Baby J!! ;)

33. Allison July 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Thank you so much for all your sweet comments! I know DD2 will enjoy reading them as well.

For those of you not an orange fan – me either! But this room has changed my mind. I can appreciate her loving the color and wanting it in the nursery. There is a touch of orange in the MBR too (modern bird print by Thomas Paul – http://www.atticmag.com/2011/06/bird-motif-decor/ ).

Pamela, I bought the light at a locally owned home store. It’s by Creative Co Op. I did find a few places online that has it when writing this post. I will email you.

Thanks again!
    Allison

34. black eyed susans kitchen July 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Wonderful nursery and quite brilliant. This room will grow with baby to toddlerhood and so on. We did our nurseries in a similar way many years ago (youngest is now 19). I also like how calm and serene the room appears.

35. Kathryn Griffin @ thededicatedhouse July 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

This is so cute! I really love the dresser and the nice momentos from her childhood! Stop by and check out the nursery I did for my daughter and her big girl room if you get time. Thanks.

36. Jordan@the2seasons July 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Cute theme so creative. I need to tell my friends who are having babies about this for a theme. Thanks for stopping by our blog http://www.the2seasons.com

37. Beth July 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Love this nursery! The deer head is a nice touch of humor and my favorite is the abacus. The baby will love that!

38. abeachcottage July 13, 2011 at 6:28 am #

The nursery is really lovely. You did a wonderful job, so many great things that the baby will enjoy.

39. Elizabeth July 13, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Hi Allison,
    Thank you so much for visiting me at “Home is Where the Heart is”, its a pleasure meeting you!
    I adore the nursery that was created with much love for your new grandson…it will be a lovely space for him to grow with.
    Everything was done with so much thought and love and really special place to welcome home baby in..
    I looked for a place to follow on your blog, but did not see one, just a twitter one and I do not use twitter, did I miss where to follow you.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth
    PS. Iook forward to visiting you again.

40. Allison July 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Thank you!

Elizabeth, you can subscribe to the RSS feed in the upper right of any page – it’s written in orange, directly under the Twitter button.

Allison

41. Sarah September 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Ahhh! Do you remember the brand/style name of this crib!? We have the exact same one and I’m currently trying to Google assembly instructions!!

• Allison September 17, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Sarah, it’s the Rockland Tucson Crib from JCPenny.