Decorative Interior Barn Doors

red painted interior barn doors with a horse from House Beautiful by Erin MartinSimple wooden doors become a masterpiece with artwork and trim.

Interior barn doors are a currently trendy (they are everywhere), but what first caught my eye wasn’t the hardware or vivid color, but the theatrical horse with Siamese cat at his back leg.  This track mounted folk art painting was actually once part of a barn. It now hangs in the owner’s home office, hiding her desk and files during therapy sessions. I would spend my hour on the couch speechless, soaking it in.  My wheels have been spinning since seeing it in January.  This could easily be recreated to include subject matter close to your heart.

1941 photograph of painted barn doors with animal silouhettes from backcountry notesPainting barn doors is certainly nothing new, as shown on the exterior of a Shenandoah Valley (Harrisonburg, VA) structure photographed in 1941.

wooden decorative American barn doors from Treillage Ltd Bunny WilliamsThis pair of antique carved and painted American barn doors is currently offered by the NYC shop Treillage Ltd, owned by designer Bunny Williams and antique dealer John Rosselli.  The hefty price tag would have most channeling their inner Martha for their next DIY project.

decorative interior barn doors Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne by Martyn Lawrence BullardSomehow I can’t visualize Ozzy Osbourne relaxing in this picturesque room.  His wife, Sharon, had a heavy hand in decorating their new California home.  Whether or not you are a fan of the singer, this pair of whimsical interior barn doors is visual music.

Don’t miss the decorative over-sized “old master” landscape painting camouflaging a closet in Interior Barn Doors, or rustic single sliders included in Pantry Pride.

(Sources: House Beautiful, Backcountry Notes, Treillage Ltd, Architectural Digest)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag.

10 Responses to “Decorative Interior Barn Doors”

1. Kat May 10, 2011 at 12:23 am #

I just recommended to a friend that she incorporate old barn doors into her renovation, mostly because I love them and want to live vicariously! ;-) And I love the Osbourne’s new home, it’s very tastefully decorated!

I hope you ladies had a wonderful Mother’s Day!

Kat :)

2. laxsupermom May 10, 2011 at 7:44 am #

Love those first doors! So pretty! And I love the Osbourne’s new home – it’s so much nicer than the heavy gothic home they were in several years ago. Thanks for sharing.

3. SilverMagpies May 10, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Hi Allison -

I love barn doors too. I remember seeing one in a magazine as the door for a pantry a few years ago and I fell in love then and there.

The red door in the first painting is terrific. I love the door within a door feature.

4. Tricia Rose May 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

All wow! Love the doors, and love the spaces too~

5. Puna May 11, 2011 at 8:18 am #

I love that first barn door! You are right, I want to imitate/copy it. I wish I knew where to put it!

6. Allison May 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

Kat, I hope you sent her this way!
    Laxsupermom, I so agree – the Goth house was too much for me too.
    Silvermagpies, there are two in Pantry Pride – did you see them?
    Thanks, Tricia.
    Puna, it has been torture for me to see it on/off for two days! I have a friend that would paint one for me in a heartbeat.

7. Allison Cosmos August 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Do you know who the interior designer is for the first room with horse painted on the barn door? Also I’d love to know more about the horse itself. Where the image originated from? Beautifully done!

8. Allison August 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

Allison, the interior designer is Erin Martin Design. The home was featured in Feb 2011 House Beautiful article “Grand Gestures.” The horse was painted around 1970 by an artist (signed) Tom King and was originally part of a barn. It’s an amazing feature.

Allison

1. Painted Interior Barn Doors | Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design - April 30, 2014

[…] posts on Interior Barn Doors and Decorative Interior Barn Doors also may be of […]

2. Porta de madeira com cavalo pintado : Hipismo & Co - May 17, 2014

[…] imagem está no site Attic Mag em um post que fala sobre portas de cocheiras em ambientes […]