Repurposing Vintage Wooden Shutters

pair of antique French os de mouton chairs upholstered in linenDetailed exterior shutters are remade for interior use.

After I shared my search for os de mouton chairs, I received several emails asking about the door to the right of our fireplace.  The space was originally intended to be a guest coat closet.  Since we were able to add a closet to our back hallway, we had another use in mind for this space.  It was replaced with concealed shelving – a place to charge the remote, hide bulky electronic equipment and provide DVD storage.

vintage wood and tin shutter before being made into a doorI’m only a tad embarrassed to say the niche was left doorless for over a year while I pondered how to cover the television over the fireplace – thinking it should be decided on first.  But when I saw the vintage tin and wood shutter, I knew it was perfect.  Luckily I knew two carpenters who could easily make it into a door.  A second raised panel was added to the bottom for height and a simple wooden latch keeps the door closed.  During construction, the baseboard was continued around the room so that the door would be in the wall itself (in other words, not touching the floor as regular interior doors do).

pair of shutters made into doors on either side of fireplaceHere two pair of shutters were made into doors on either side of the fireplace.  I imagine the spaces are not only used for electronics, but games, toys and all those other items that find their way into our homes.

pair of vintage wooden doors made into armoire from Parker Sims InteriorsAged wood and heavy wrought iron hinges adorn this pair of doors that were fashioned into an armoire.

vintage wooden doors open to reveal display shelving from Architectural DigestWhen I saw this picture in a magazine, I immediately thought I had run across the same armoire as above, but opened.  I rummaged through my files and realized the rooms were not even similar.  Goes to show you that my eyes were drawn to the repurposed doors instead of the room.  These vintage pieces have aged gracefully and been given new life inside our homes.  Something the original craftsmen would not have considered, but would surely make them smile.

For other repurposing ideas, be sure to read Classic Trends in Decorating and Repurposed Shelving.

(Sources: Decorpad, Parker Sims Interiors, Architectural Digest)

, , , , ,

9 Responses to Repurposing Vintage Wooden Shutters

1. Tricia Rose April 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Your shutter is distinctly superior! and an unobtrusive way to have storage beside a fireplace.

In our Regency kitchen-become-dining room I had glazed French doors put into the recesses beside the big old range chimney, building them forward so it was the chimney and mantel which ended up recessed. One side had my sewing table and supplies built in, the other was a catch-all, and it made a marvellous craft and creations room for the many times I wasn’t hosting diner å lå Russe.

2. Melissa's Heart and Home April 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Wow! Allison the shutters and all of the photos are gorgeous. I need to try adding them somewhere in our next home. We have an upcoming military move later on this year.

Thank you for always inspiring us.

Warmly, ~Melissa :)

3. Pat@Back Porch Musings April 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Fabulous, Alison! I love using shutters indoors. I especially like the shutters in the third photo down.

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch. My rooster is from Costco about 8 years ago.

4. Stacy@RedDoorHome April 25, 2011 at 6:59 am #

Love all these photos! I have always loved the look of using shutters as a headboard.

5. black eyed susans kitchen April 25, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I really like the rustic look of the shutters. They add so much character to a room!

6. laxsupermom April 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Beautiful pics! Love your refashioned shutter door, and that last pic – be still my heart. The sinewy curve to the strapping on that last shutter door is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

7. Denise April 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I love your shutter redo..I live in a dark vintage beach cottage and found some beach shutters last summer to paint white and hang on the walls.I cannot paint because it is a historical cottage.I hope to find shutters on the curbside this season?!Thank you for sharing.

8. Allison April 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Thank you!
    Lax, the curved strapping is fabulous.

9. mindstorm April 27, 2011 at 12:22 am #

The repurposed shutters look wonderful in your house. Great idea! I also really really like the grey shutters in the scandinavian room in the third picture – I rather like the entire room in fact – all white and grey and pale and soothing.