Decorative Steel Range Hoods

custom stainless steel range hood with scallop edge trim from Renovation StyleDon’t miss an opportunity to make a visual impact in the kitchen with a custom hood.

No matter where a range or cooktop is located in the kitchen, a hood is necessary to vent steam, smoke and odors.  Designs and materials vary as much as prices, but custom doesn’t always mean expensive.  These steel wall mounted versions discretely hide vent hood liners and create a pleasant focal point without being overbearing.  The seamed design of this custom scalloped-edge zinc hood, from Calhoun Design and Metalworks, resembles a canvas awning and has a playful spirit. (Calhoun Design also provided the zinc base for the island.

custom stainless steel sweeping hood with scalloped trim from Renovation StyleThe skirt on this hood is also scalloped, but the basic sweep is left untouched.   It’s a retro addition to this 1940′s bungalow kitchen, mixing contemporary with traditional.

custom stainless steel hood by O'Brien Harris in House BeautifulDecorative hoods can incorporate both form and function.  This large canopy style hood has banding, rivets and a bit of cross hatching.  These simple accents collectively create a handsome kitchen centerpiece.

(Sources: House Beautiful, Renovation Style, O’Brien Harris)

, , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Decorative Steel Range Hoods

1. Puna March 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

I spent some time agonizing over our copper hood. I wasn’t sure if it would work in our contemporary kitchen but I just love it. I know my style is eclectic and not for everyone but I’m the one who has to cook in it every day.

2. RHome410 March 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

The swooping and the scallops aren’t me, but they’re cool in someone else’s kitchen. I prefer the last hood…But (veering off topic) what I really lust after is the way that stainless counter wraps down beside the drawers. I SO wish I’d seen that idea and could’ve done that beside my gray range area cabinets, where I used a more contemporary look on the hardware, etc.

3. Allison March 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Copper is my metal of choice too, Puna.

RH, that is a great detail. Had to stop myself several times from writing about it.

4. Laurie Mullins June 11, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Just wanted to know where I could order that steel range hood on the first pic. Love it and it would be so awesome in my kitchen that is in a 617sq foot cottage. thanks

5. Allison June 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Laurie, the first hood was featured in House Beautiful and is a custom zinc piece by designer John Oetgen. His website is http://oetgendesign.com/ Or you could show a photo to a local place and have it copied.

Allison

• elaine June 14, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I’m confused. What sort of “a local place” would one go to
      to have the range hood copied?

• Allison March 18, 2014 at 9:58 am #

A local steel fabrication shop.

6. Allison June 14, 2011 at 8:24 am #

Searching for “custom metal awnings” will bring up sources for metal fabricators that do custom work. Local would depend on your area and its size. Plugging your address in Yahoo or Google maps, then searching for a fabricator will show if any in your area. You could also ask tradesmen if they have any recommendations (kitchen and appliance showrooms, builders, etc).

With the internet it’s easy to have one made and shipped if no local source is available. They would need finished size, hood liner requirements/dimensions and picture.

7. jolene February 13, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Hi – just came across this site. I love the scalloped hood and was wondering if you knew who made it.

thanks!

• Allison February 13, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Hi Jolene,
      The first [top] scalloped hood was made by Calhoun Design & Metalworks in Atlanta. The second one was featured in Renovation Style magazine, Kitchen Edition. I may still have article at home and can look later to see if there is a source listed.
      Allison

• liz March 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

Were you able to find the source for the second picture – the one featured in Renovation Style?

Lovely, Thanks for posting

• Allison March 18, 2014 at 10:00 am #

I did not locate it, Liz, but Charles Calhoun commented (below). His company made the hood in the first photo. He would be a good source to contact.

8. Charles Calhoun February 26, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Hi everyone. We made the scalloped hood in the first photo. If we can ever help on any metalworking project just let me know. Check out our website @ calhounmetalworks.com.
    Best,