Pantry Pride

kitchen pantry with glass french doors and bookshelves on either side of doorwayKitchen features come and go. The pantry is no different.

Although they have been around for centuries, in the 1950′s pantries became less common in American homes.  Walk-in pantries began making a comeback in the late 1990′s and are now one of the most requested kitchen features. But many of today’s homeowners expect more from their pantries than just “a place for everything, and everything in it’s place” space.  Everything from dry foods and canned goods, to cookbooks and dishes and even small appliances are finding their way into these carefully planned storage rooms. Painted or stained fixed shelves wrap the room, making the most of the space.

This pantry is accessed through a pair of single-pane French doors surrounded by shelves for cookbooks. The lead-glass transom above the door is a nice touch.  Usually, only one light fixture is needed, making this is a great opportunity to add personality.  A unique new, vintage or antique fixture will always add charm.

kitchen pantry with chalkboard doorDoors are another way to express yourself. What better place to jot down this week’s shopping list than a chalkboard door?  Painting the lower panel gives children a place to create.

kitchen pantry with screen door entranceThis pantry is enclosed with a screen door.  Unpainted shelves hold dry goods and serving pieces.  Other screening materials choices include chicken wire and decorative, flat wire mesh. Shirred fabric or punched tin panels can be used to shield contents from view.

kitchen pantry hidden by interior sliding barn doorA green chalkboard wall and sliding interior barn door gives this kitchen a loft-like feeling.  The wine refrigerator is easily accessed when entertaining.

narrow storage pantry covered by sliding interior barn doorNo space is too small when it comes to adding extra storage.  A shallow “one can deep” pantry is hidden behind a distressed wood door with iron insert.  Glassware is stored on the top shelves, becoming an interesting display when the door is closed.

pantry with shelves and appliance hutch hidden by double pocket doors Double pocket doors slide out of sight in this pantry.  A slightly deeper center hutch holds small appliances and has drawers for table linens and roll-out baskets for seldom-used cooking accessories.

pantry entrance hidden with integrated panel doorsTaking a cue from integrated appliances, this pair of pantry doors blends in with the cabinets when closed.

pantry with integrated panel doors flanked by glass door dish storageAnother pair of integrated doors is banked by glass front cabinets for tableware display.

corner pantry with double french doors and frosted glassInstead of using traditional corner cabinetry full of hard-to-reach shelves, here is a corner pantry.  Frosted glass doors conceal its true identity.  Designs and wording are often etched on the glass for a decorative touch.  A properly placed outlet is handy for using of small appliances.  The lower wood panels have a center knob, leading me to believe they are tilt-out bins for recycling or pet food.

open corner pantry with no doorsIf you’re brave (and neat), an open corner pantry may be the answer.  Lined wicker baskets help tidy smaller items.  Seldom used things are stored on the top shelf.  The open pantry of the Salie House is similar and includes a farmhouse sink and Traulsen pass-thru fridge.

open yellow pantry with wicker basket and glass jar storageAnother door-free pantry makes a bold statement with mustard yellow paint.  Lined baskets are accompanied by labeled glass jars.  A gathered fabric skirt can hide a multitude of sins.

open pantry shelves lining hallway with glass storage containersIf there is not enough space for a walk-in pantry, line a kitchen wall or hallway off the kitchen with shelves… and stock up on pretty glass airtight containers.  As long as they are away from direct natural light, the contents shouldn’t be harmed.

open pantry made from painted bricks and concrete shelves Meg RyanThis modern open pantry was built using white painted brick and stained concrete shelves.  Minimalism at its best.

unfitted English larder cabinetUnfitted English kitchens usually include a larder cabinet that holds the majority of food.  Doors lined with shelves keep smaller items from becoming lost.

fitted English larder cabinetAnother English larder cabinet is built-in instead of freestanding.

open pantry with hutch and wine refrigeratorPantries can be as big and elaborate as your dreams.  Regular depth lower cabinets and countertops will keep small appliances out of the main kitchen.

Alabama stone cottage pantry with double french doorsA hidden feature of our French gray kitchen is our walk-in pantry.  Originally, it was the closet for a bedroom we turned into sunroom during the pre-building stage.  By moving the doorway to the opposite wall, it opens into the arched area near the range.  Our trim carpenter built the shelves and work table according to my specifications.

alabama stone cottage pantry with built in table for small appliancesBased on a potting bench, the table provides space for unloading groceries or making a sandwich.  In keeping with my less kitchen-like look, the toaster and microwave are out of sight in the pantry.  A collection of birdhouses is arranged on the top shelf and they are a fun surprise for guests.

(Sources: Design Babylon Interiors, Kitchen Bath Ideas, Country Living, Cottage Living, Colleen Fox Interiors, Closets Redefined, House Beautiful, Team95, EmersonMade, Elle Decor, Venegas and Company, Tracy Leach, Front Door)

, , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Pantry Pride

1. Stacy@RedDoorHome January 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

I am fortunate to have a walk-in pantry. It was one of the best things we included when we built our house, Although it does have wire shelving (I would love to change to cabinets or wood shelves) I am so thankful for the storage space and do not know what I would do without it.

2. Lacy@The Inspired Nest January 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

I would be thrilled with anyone of them! Gorgeous and so inspiring!

3. Terry Moore January 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Oh my, I love all of these, especially the second one.

4. Judy @ In His Grip January 23, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

I wish I had one of the fabulous pantries. Mine is just a large cabinet, but it does have pull out shelves which I love.

5. Linda Green January 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

I have a small walk in pantry, and I’m happy that it does not have glass doors! I have some glass cabinets, and while they are attractive, we all need some hidden spaces in a working kitchen. These photos are all beautiful and I can get inspiration from many of them. I’m thinking of switching my pantry items into the kitchen cabinets and putting all my dishes and glassware into the pantry! Don’t know yet, but I will study some of these photos! Thanks for posting them! Linda

6. Shelia January 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Hi Allison! Oh, what some wonderful panties! I would love to have a walk in pantry! Oh, well…I’m thankful a even have a little space.
    Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

7. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

I would love to have pantry space like any of these! I do love the first two the most.

8. Mel's Cabin January 24, 2011 at 7:18 am #

I love those inspiring examples of pantrys….they are beautiful and well organized…If only I had the space in my kitchen for one of these beauties. For now, I have only a large free standing early American wood cabinet in the breakfast room for my pantry. Stop by for a visit at Mel’s Cabin for a cup of coffee.

9. laxsupermom January 24, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Wow! Great collection of images. It makes me want to get in and redo my pantry, because while I do have a large closet type pantry, it certainly doesn’t look like any of those.

As many times as I’ve ogled your kitchen and home, I’ve never seen your pantry before. I love the feel of the potting bench and stained wood shelves. And the birdhouses are such a whimsical touch. Love it! Thanks for sharing these.

10. Allison January 24, 2011 at 9:31 am #

I’m glad you all are enjoying the images. So many ways to have a pantry – each serves the same purpose, but in a different way, and we all know how important it is to have decent storage in our kitchens.

Judy, our last kitchen had a pantry cabinet. It was great since it held so much.

Linda Green, have you seen the Salie House china closet at Atticmag? Amazing… you will never look at dish storage the same again.

Laxsupermom, I had shown my pantry in the Heart of our Home blog party post but we did not move the article to this new site. I love seeing the birdhouses when I go in the pantry. Most were scattered around our last home and a few were actually outside on the fence. I didn’t really want them scattered here, but didn’t want to get rid of them either. I’m glad you agree this idea was a good one! It’s like a “just for me” special thing, since not everyone goes into the pantry.

11. Larry January 24, 2011 at 10:16 am #

As you know I really like the use of old doors etc. Some terrific ideas. The shallow pantry with a door in front is an idea almost anyone can use with only loosing a small wall space. For our on going building project we are using upper and lower reclaimed kitchen cabinets from a house in Homewood in the back foyer for pantry. This feature has something almost all can use if want a pantry.

12. Kelly @ JAX does design January 24, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Wow, you’ve put together an amazing collection of kitchen pantries! I really like the very first one, where the doors to the pantry are flanked with bookshelves. And the kitchen with the green chalkboard and sliding barn door is really cool.

13. Allison January 24, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Thanks, Kelly.

Larry, I was at Tricia’s last Wednesday morning. You weren’t there by chance, were you? Two men were talking in a side room and I almost asked if one was Larry. ;D

14. lynne@lynnesgiftsfromtheheart January 24, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Wow! What gorgeous pantries. I would love to have any of them. The white ironstone pitchers caught my eye, I need a couple of those for the new hutch “makeover”. lol Thank you for swinging by and leaving such a sweet comment.
    hugs ~lynne~

15. RHome410 January 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

These are all beautiful examples. My walk-in pantry could be bigger, but I just appreciate having it at all.
    I really love the look of the hallway pantry you show, but have visions of my less delicate kiddos going through there and objects or elbows knocking glass containers on the floor… :-)

16. Nancy January 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Love them all! I’m especially fond of the french doors leading to a separate pantry “room”.

17. Deanne January 24, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

My walk in pantry would have to be one of my favourite things in my kitchen. I posted about it here:

18. Bette P January 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

I love this article. Great pictures. Who doesn’t need a special space for kitchen things.
    I made my coat closet a dish pantry, as I have more dishes than coats which are not needed here in Arizona.
    I wish I had seen this article before I did mine. Great ideas. I love the big distressed sliding door pantry.

19. Pattie @ Olla-Podrida January 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

What a timely post! We’re in the process of designing a smaller new home and one thing I want is a pantry. I like the first one the best because of the bookcases that flank either side of the doors. What a great place for cookbook storage and with my husband and I both avid cooks, we have plenty.

20. Delores January 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Oh, I would kill for a walk in pantry. Or any pantry for that matter. This is such a fabulous post with fabulous photos. I was actually working on a similar post, but you nailed it!

21. SilverMagpies February 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

The pantry with the sliding barn door really speaks to me.

I agree that you have to be really brave to have an open one. I wonder what it looks like on an “off” day?

22. Patty Henning July 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

LOVE these pantry spaces ! ~ ! ~

1. Pantry Doors…. | Fabulously Finished - July 26, 2011

[...] led me to a great post -  Allison over at Atticmag offered these yummy pantry [...]

2. Kitchen Pantry Ideas | Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design - November 1, 2013

[…] also might enjoy: Pantry Pride, Daring the Butler’s Pantry, Kitchen of the Year Butler’s […]

3. kitchen pantry design ideasHome Design Ideas | Home Design Ideas - May 25, 2014

[…] Kitchen pantry &#1110&#1281&#1077&#1072&#1109 | atticmag | kitchens, bathrooms […]