Hydrangea Colors Kitchen

blue kitchen counters in a pine beach house kitchen with purple backsplash Inspiration from the garden found its way inside with blue kitchen counters and purple tile.

I never thought I’d swoon over a kitchen with nature wood-tone cabinets, lavender tile and blue-violet counters. But this is one knockout babe, done up in summer florals that read from cobalt to lavender – a homage to the range of colors found in hydrangeas. Clearly this Massachusetts kitchen belongs to a gardener, one who adores blue hydrangeas and wants to live with their vibrant color throughout the summer and year-round.

pine kitchen with purple tile and countersThe L-shaped kitchen has two main walls and a large island that creates working aisle. On the range wall there is a Viking with matching hood and a range guard done in 4-by-4-inch variegated purple tiles. The blue kitchen counters are a special-order hue of Italian engineered stone from the Verona Marble Company, called Santa Margherita Legacy quartz. The color is Bahama blue and it blends with the colors in the tile. A white farm sink with a bridge faucet sits below a bank of three windows that give the cook a view. A hulking Sub-Zero is well located nearby.

Keeping cabinets, ceiling and walls in neutral wood tones helps the colors of the counters and backsplash stand out. There is little to no paint as the walls are paneled with horizontal planks and the ceiling has beaded board between the pine beams. The big island is relatively simple, with only a prep sink on the aisle side. The better to showcase the counters. As beach house kitchens go, this one is woodsy and countrified – a perfect statement for a gardener with an enduring love of Nikko blues.

(Source: hutkerarchitects.com)

Copy and paste link to quick-share this post: http://bit.ly/I9voT6

blue painted furniture - white wicker settee with blue upholstery in a Massachusetts beach house - hutker architects via atticmagSee more of this beach house

, , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Hydrangea Colors Kitchen

1. Queen of Dreamsz December 1, 2010 at 1:37 am #

Be still my heart…this is one beautiful kitchen. I LOVE the colors. and how they compliment the wood…and of course, who wouldn’t want the subzero and the viking. :0) Just lovely!

Have a wonderful day,
    Stephanie ♥

2. laxsupermom December 1, 2010 at 7:59 am #

I love this kitchen, even though it skews a bit country with the farm-type stools. This kitchen strikes me as one where the homeowner picked what she liked, resale be damned, and created a gorgeous sellable kitchen anyway.

3. Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish December 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

I love it! I had a Federal Blue kitchen in our first house!! Looks fantastic with cabinets that color!

4. deva December 3, 2010 at 8:21 am #

I love that it is bold with color and not afraid to be all matchy matchy.

5. deva December 3, 2010 at 8:22 am #

I meant…NOT matchy matchy. As you noted, there is a range of colors going on….a palette of blues and lavenders.

6. Linda December 3, 2010 at 10:24 am #

This is a very refreshing and happy kitchen which looks to have a sensible layout as well. You neglect to say that if it’s a true gardener’s kitchen, the spaces will work well for cleaning and prepping fresh veg. A bouquet does not make a gardener’s kitchen, but work flow and sinks really do.

“We never thought we’d swoon over a kitchen with wood-tone cabinets, lavender tile and blue-violet counters.” What a snippy comment! At least you admit that it’s a good kitchen. Glad to see humble pine showcased in such a wonderful way. Not only that, but in the right hands, the “glam” of the room could be achieved using much more humble appliances, surfaces, plumbing fixtures.

7. Jane F December 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

As I’m not a gardener and don’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t presume to say what’s a gardener’s kitchen or what’s not. And I expect those definitions depend on the gardener. Clearly the kitchen is garden inspired.

And how unfortunate that you took my opinion as snippy. What does seem snippy is to suggest that the kitchen appliances could be more “humble.” This is a high end kitchen. We’re showing great design here not making value judgments about how much someone is spending.

8. robslady8042006 March 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

I was wondering can you tell me what type of counter top it is

9. Jane F March 23, 2013 at 8:54 am #

That’s a quartz counter top. We are told it’s from Santa Margherita quartz in their Legacy line. The color is custom.

1. Blue Painted Furniture Bea - August 13, 2014

[…] furniture with its cottage-on-steroids look. That same blue-violet palette was a favorite in the Hydrangea Colors Kitchen we featured here some time ago. Now, that kitchen serves as a prequel to the rest of the […]