Swinging Porch Beds

custom hanging painted wooden swinging porch bed made from vintage architecture porch railingsSleeping outside doesn’t necessarily mean roughing it

When we first moved into our new home, I was excited to finally have a screened porch.  The first few weeks I spent several hours sleeping outside each night – on a new dog bed.  Believe it or not, it was comfortable, and every time I saw a swinging porch bed I promise myself “one day, one day.”  This architectural version is made from old porch railings and is the most popular design available from a favorite local home store.  There is always a waiting list and I seem to postpone ordering a swinging bed in favor of something else on my ever-present list.
custom hanging swinging porch bed made from wood and metalThis clean line Spanish cedar swinging bed was created by Austin husband and wife team Mark and Christina Landers.  Their design studio and shop produce high quality piecework the old fashioned way – one piece at a time.  It is a functional artistic bed, comfortable within this rustic setting.

custom hanging painted wooden swinging porch bed made from woodMy husband and I love doing things together for our home, so it’s always nice to see what other marital teams are up to.  Brent and Krista are a Charleston pair who were encouraged to continue designing by the response to their creations.  This chic beauty would be equally lovely inside.  I don’t think my cats would mind sharing.

custom hanging wooden swinging porch bed with mortise and tendon joineryThere is so much talent available, locally or via the internet, that having a custom swinging porch bed made is fairly simple.  Finding inspiration is just as easy.  I love the mortise and tendon joinery on this handsome version and the way it blends in with its surroundings.  Perfect for our screened porch… One day.

Read about my “one day” finally arriving in Swinging Porch Beds 2.

(Sources: Seibels, Landers’ Studio, Extraordinary Coastal Living, Coastal Living)

Tags: , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 330 posts on Atticmag | Kitchens, Bathrooms, Interior Design.

12 Responses to “Swinging Porch Beds”

1. Rachel August 26, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

Would love to put a couple of these in my living room!

2. Laura August 28, 2011 at 7:49 am #

I just have a doubt.. wouldnt the weight be like huge to hang it from the ceiling? I love it but i dont think that most structures would stand the weight specially if 3 people sit and swing.. yet i love it!

3. Allison August 28, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I understand your concern, Laura. Most structures would stand the weight, but beefing up the joists may be needed. That said, any structure being considered for a porch bed should be inspected by someone knowledgeable. When using the correct hardware and installation, a porch bed can hold 1000+ pounds. Double joists, welded hardware, etc.

4. Ron November 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

This would be a great idea to use old bed frames for. It would take only a little work to convert one that couldn’t be repaired back to bed status. Thank you for the inspiration!

5. suzanne November 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Love the swing made from the old porch railings. Can you tell me the name of the local home store that sells these? thank you!

6. Allison November 18, 2011 at 12:37 am #

Suzanne, it’s Seibel’s in Homewood, AL. The original craftsman no longer makes them for the store, but I could put you in touch with him if you are in our area.

• Cheryl Yearwood August 31, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Could you tell me who makes the Coastal Living porch swing. Seibels’s no long has this in their catalog.

Thanks!

• Allison September 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Cheryl, Siebel’s still sells porch swings similar to the first photo. The last swing (from Coastal Living) – I do not know who makes or sales this swing, it looks like a custom piece. Allison

7. Holly leischner April 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

Love the swing from seibels, but live in Chicago suburbs…any ideas if he would ship or some one know of a local maker. I’ve been looking and really don’t want to let this summer escape me without it.

8. Cypress Moon May 10, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the article, especially the wonderful photos of the porch swing beds!

We make porch swings also. We’re a family-owned and operate business in Louisiana that’s been making cypress swings for 25 years. Thank you for the article!

9. Johan October 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Wow! Awesome, wish I was swinging from one of these now!

1. and Goldilocks said, “this bed is just right.” | musingsonthejourney - October 4, 2011

[...] Pinterest…you’ll be the death of me yet.  Pictures found here, here, and here. Share this:ShareFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry [...]